Thursday, January 20, 2011

Bucket List: Boylan Bridge Brewpub, Check.

When I saw the sign for "Scrabble Tuesday" (which is also $1 off Pint night) I knew I had met my soul mate in brewpub form.

Maybe, you're like me and every time you pass by the Boylan Bridge Brewpub at 201 South Boylan Ave you think, "I have got to check that place out!"  Then again, maybe you aren't.  In any case, I finally ventured in. 

Okay, so it wasn't Scrabble Tuesday, but it was Wednesday and I got a chance to sit down with head brewmaster, Andy Laco to chat about the brewpub and brewing process.

Laco is a stout drinker.  He told me this as he ordered the Pullman Porter.
They're both dark, rich, robust beers from what their description tells us. 

After trying the flight of beers (for $6 you can try 4 oz. of all six beers), I settled on the Gantlet Golden Ale.  The Gantlet is light-bodied, but has the strong bitter taste of hops.

"If you like a beer or don't it is generally your taste.  There are certain elements that have to be there--it's like any other form of art--what is off for one beer might be right for another," said Laco.

Laco, 25, dabbled with home brewing in college at Appalachian State where he graduated with a degree in History in 2007.  From January to June 2008 he worked as an apprentice and then four months ago, he was promoted to head brewmaster. 

Every few months Boylan creates at least two seasonal beers.  Be looking for a Spring IPA and a Scottish Ale coming up soon.

At this time, all of the beers are 6% alcohol to maintain consistency. 

Boylan Brewpub opened their doors on February 27, 2008. With probably the best view overlooking downtown Raleigh, Boylan Brewpub is positioned perfectly for an array of events, including weddings.

Although they do not typically have live music, for special events they will, such as the upcoming anniversary show next month.

I regret to report that even though the brewpub also has a full kitchen and (apparently bangin') menu full of options, I did not try anything during my visit.

I did have the chance to talk with Sam, the head chef, who started working at Boylan Brewpub back in April of 2008. 

Of the current menu offerings, Sam said he is most proud of the catfish and cornbread. 

"It's a Southern classic reinvented," he said. "The traditional recipe is fried catfish and little cornbread squares, but we serve it with Johnnycakes instead," he told me.  (Johnnycakes, for the NC transplants, are  like "cornmeal pancakes").  The catfish is served with a corn and pablano sauce making it a
Southern/Tex-Mex entree.

In between refills, Matty, the bartender filled me in on the daily specials.

Tuesday:  $1 off Pint Night (Scrabble Tuesday)
Wednesday:  $1 off Wine glasses
Thursday:  $5 Martinis
Friday & Saturday:  $6 Cocktails
Sunday:  $5 Bloody Mary's & $6 Mimosas

Matty makes the Bloody Mary mix which is garnished with a piece of dried okra, a dried green bean and a celery stick.

If, when you visit, you hear a bell ringing, that means someone left without leaving a tip. Don't be that person.

No comments:

Post a Comment