Friday, February 25, 2011

Carolina Brewery (in Chapel Hill): Not just for Fraternities

Carolina Brewery is like the Chili's of breweries.  They are very branded, which is a good thing, but in a corporate-feeling way.  I'm pretty sure Barefoot Landing in Myrtle Beach would be an excellent choice for a third location.


Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike the brewery located at 460 West Franklin Street, it simply was not what I expected.  In some ways that is a good thing. 


Halfway to Chapel Hill from Raleigh was the first time I thought about my decision to visit the Brewery on Pint Night (every Tuesday all pints are $3).  All of a sudden I realized I was traveling to Frat Central (Franklin Street) on discounted pint night.  I was afraid.  Instantly, I pictured myself in a sea of popped collars and girls clad in dresses with cowboy boots. 


Happily, that was not the case.



$5/Flight

There were a couple of things I really liked:
  • Copperline Amber Ale (it is also their top-selling beer)
  • That the waitstaff and bartenders knew information about the beers (very important)
  • The Nachos
  • Oh, and the way the flight was presented (on a paddle)

Emilee Bunker, Senior at University of North Carolina and Raleigh native said she does not come as often as she would like. "It's such a versatile atmosphere," she said, "anywhere from families to college students looking to unwind... they have live music, its fun, upbeat, just come to have a good time."

Like I said, Barefoot Landing.



2 comments:

  1. Good to see you went to Carolina Brewery on Franklin St. They already have a 2nd location in Pittsboro that also has a full brewhouse. Their IPA is a fantastic Gold medal winner, hope you had one too. Their beers are a lot better than any craft beer I've had from Myrtle Beach :) Not too many popped collars or girls in dress/cowboy boots in Chapel Hill. That's a NCSU Raleigh thing I am afraid. Next time, try Top of the Hill Brewery; specifically, their back bar that has 3 cask ales on tap most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I linked the Pittsboro site in there. I tried the IPA with the rest of the flight, but I settled on the Copperline. I also wanted to experience the top-selling beer fully. I have heard good things about Top of the Hill and I plan to venture over there sometime soon. As for the fratty-attire, that is typically the standard, although like I said was not the case at Carolina Brewery.

    ReplyDelete